ILE (Local Initiatives for the Environment in the Mediterranean) introduces a Euro-Mediterranean cooperation initiative to support sustainable development and local democracy. It uses an intercultural approach involving partners from France, Greece, Italy, Lebanon and Tunisia to linking training to grass-roots action in conjunction with local authorities to:
• boost the involvement and capacities of Mediterranean civil society in the field of sustainable development and local democracy;
• give greater recognition to the role civil society plays in environmental policies implemented in Mediterranean regions.
ILE identifies organisations involved in eco-citizen activities in all the project partner countries as well as obstacles to mobilising citizens and good practice in this subject area.
See the report (only in French)
ILE mobilises eco-citizen organisations seeking greater involvement in local governance, both regionally and throughout the Euro-Mediterranean area.
Look at the ILE map and select a country
ILE applies a participatory method to develop local action plans for sustainable development in the project’s 8 participating regions.
Discover the local projects
ILE mobilises young people by organising eco-volunteer missions and Euro-Mediterranean Campuses for the environment.
ILE contributes to empowering the network of associations in environmental governance by using active learning methods in workshops and exchanges of experience.
Learn about the workshops
ILE reinforces its network by inviting NGO’s and local authorities involved in eco-citizenship to the Euro-Mediterranean Eco-citizen Summer Schools which are focal points for the creation of new synergies and promoting good practice.
The main results of the project are available on the
GUIDE FOR ECO-CITIZENSHIP IN THE MEDITERRANEAN
The ILE Partnership
The Mediterranean Centre of Environment - Greece is partners of the project ILE together with:
• Association for Participation and Regional Action -APARE – Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur, France, Lead partner
• Office de l’Environnement de la Corse – Corsica, France
• AMESCI – Campania, Italy
• Association for the Development of Rural Capacities-ADR – Southern Lebanon, Lebanon
• Association d’Education Relative à l’Environnement d’Hammamet-AERE – Nabeul, Tunisia
page facebook AERE
• Association de Sauvegarde de l’Aasis de Chenini-ASOC – Gabes, Tunisia
page facebook AssociationDeSauvegardeDeLOasisDeCheniniGabesasoc
• Association des Jeunes de Zammour-AJZ – Medenine, Tunisia
Two associate partners in Morocco and Algeria:
• Association de Réflexion d’Echanges et d’Action pour l’Environnement et le Développement - AREA-ED – Algeria
• Centre Méditerranéen pour l'Environnement et le Développement - CMED – Morocco
The ILE project is funded under the 2007-2013 ENPI CBC Mediterranean Sea Basin Programme, a multilateral Cross-Border Cooperation initiative part of the European Neighbourhood and Partnership Instrument (ENPI). The Programme objective is to promote the sustainable and harmonious cooperation process at the Mediterranean Basin level by dealing with the common challenges and enhancing its endogenous potential. It finances cooperation projects as a contribution to the economic, social, environmental and cultural development of the Mediterranean region (www.enpicbcmed.eu).”