This project was developed in the framework of the Call for proposal of the European Commission on « Promotion of Active European Citizenship ». It was coordinated by the Centre Méditerranéen de l’Environnement (France).
Considering that the enlargement process of the European Union is notably based on the information and participation rights of the citizens and that NGOs are deeply involved in the enforcement of these rights, the project creates a network of more than 30 environmental NGOs from Greece, Bulgaria, Turkey and France.
Through workshops and networking activities, the project strengthens the knowledge of the NGOs concerning information and participation rights in the field of environment and sustainable development and gives opportunity for exhanges of experience and good practices.
The UE is now targeting a sustainable development which calls for good governance and participation of all actors of the society. The role of NGOs towards sustainable development and the development of an “Eco-citizenship” is of major importance. This project gives a special attention to the NGOs dealing more specifically with sustainable development.
Main objectives of the project
○ To promote a better knowledge of the European regulations funding the participation of NGOs ;
○ To improve the capacity building of the NGOs in the 2 partners countries (Bulgaria, Turkey) in order to help them contribute efficiently to the enlargment process ;
○ To develop NGOs’ good practices for transparency, democratic process and management, as asked by the UE and the principles of sustainable development ;
○ To strengthen the regional cooperation among NGOs in order to create some efficient network with stronger capacities compare to isolated organisation ;
○ To promote the international cooperation between actors of the civil society in an area where historical, territorial, religious differences remain obstacle to a better European integration and cohesion.
After the selection of around 10 environmental NGOs from Greece, Bulgaria and Turkey, three trans-national training workshops have been organised to start skill development and cooperation.
- The first workshop took place in Veria (Greece) in December 2005
- The second one in Gabrovo (Bulgaria) in February 2006
- And the last one in Ismir (Turkey) in May 2006. This final workshop was also supported by the Mediterranean Action Plan of the UNEP and welcomed environmental NGOs from Algeria and Morocco.
One of the results of the project was the compilation of good practices in the field of Eco-citizenship. See the document edited.
More information on this project in the Eco-citizenship Newsletter